The proficiency of Crimean specialists in the IT and telecommunications is highly appreciated on the international labor market.
A whole range of hi-tech companies, including divisions of large Russian IT companies operate in the Republic.
The main educational center is the Department of Computer Engineering and Modeling, Physics and Technology Institute, V.I. Vernadsky Crimean Federal University. The staff of Crimeatechnology and Crimeatelecom develops and implement new IT products at the level of governmental authorities.
After reintegration into Russia Crimea is working on rapid development of mobile communication. In 2016, Yevpatoria, Saki, Simferopol, Kerch, Yalta, Sudak, and Feodosia, as well as motorways Simferopol–Saki and Simferopol–Kerch were covered by 3G network.
The regional governmental program "Information-Oriented Society in 2018-2020" allowing for IT penetration covers the entire territory of the Republic. In the next 3 years allocation of RUB 4.2 billion is planned to support this sector – this is the 28th position in terms of funding allocation in this sector in the Russian Federation. However, public, municipal or banking services in electronic format are generally not in demand among the local people.
Nevertheless, the number of involved users is growing year after year. This reveals the potential of this area and its development in the short term.
- creation of private hi-tech parks
- development of broad Internet access infrastructure
- provision of effective performance of the regional system for the use of satellite navigation technologies and the results of space activities
- projects related to implementation of national program "Digital Economy of the Russian Federation"
- creation of data-centers
- block-chain technology and creation of crypto-currencies